Sunday, November 15, 2009

ICE CREAM MONDAY - EPISODE #7

'Making life a little more delicious, one week at a time'




Summer Lazing-day

On what could only be described as ‘a freakin sweet Sunday afternoon’ I decided to get a head-start on this weeks entry. The people need their Ice Cream news, and who would I be to deprive them of that!

Guest of this week, Miss Elise Worthington.




This week brings us to West End - home to largest and mostly violently passed out collection of odd-balls this side of the river. Also host to a fairly ubiquitous sense of acceptance – you could seriously take your pants off in the middle of the street and no-one would really blink… if those streets could talk.

After a somewhat brief period researching a spot to venture into the field of ‘on location ICM’ I discovered “CIBO”….

Nestled in the folds of an unassuming shop front and alleyway, CIBO has some of best vibes I’ve experienced in the café setting for a long time.
Friendly staff, inviting atmosphere, relatively fair $10 minimum for EFTPOS, it’s a nice little spot.

A highlight of the day was definitely the latino covers CD they had on… featuring such mamba greats as “I will survive”, “Lady Marmalade” and “The Sex and the City theme song “– in half time! – THAT SHIT HAD A GROOVE!.

So – to business – the ice cream.



There were a few contenders at the taste-test stage, one of which I intend to go back for was “ACE” a gelati featuring orange, carrot and lemon, and tasting something like a Sunkist on steroids. It had something going on, but not today.

In the end we went for a mix of the Double Chocolate Hazelnut with a side of Pistachio. (I don’t know about you, but when ever someone says Pistachio to me I can only think about a part in Aladdin, where there’s some crazy market guy selling beans and Pistachios… I strongly suggest you go watch Alladin after you read this… you’ll see what I’m talking about… actually you might not… it probably accounts for 3secs of the whole movie.)

…. So back on topic! – when I mentioned the friendly staff before what I should have also mentioned was their strong moral values for the health of their customers too… after attempting to order a large cup to share we were promptly interrupted with a “Are you serious? That shit is huge”.

On paper it comes across pretty rude, but the delivery was honestly golden, service with a smile.

And she was right, the medium was huge enough!




And here’s the official word…

The chocolate Gianduja was rich and smooth and fittingly complimented with giant shards of hazelnut chocolate. Usually I detest substandard compounded chocolate adulterating my ice cream experience, but the quality was commendable and did not detract from the flavor at all. The chocolate wasn’t overtly sweet which I solely attribute to us being able to destroy the entire excessively generous serve ($5.90 for a medium size that was MORE than enough for two). The pistachio was also excellent and did not taste like that disgusting fluro green faux-stacio that I so often associate with the nutty category . However I was disappointed by the lack of actual pistacio nuts in the formula. Although it would be unfair to blame Cibo for this, the ice cream did seem to melt faster than we could eat it, and I would like to point out that cumulatively Ben and I destroy food at a rate that would appear alarming to most ordinary humans.

<3 Peace, Love and Double Scoops <3

Elise + Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment