Sunday, November 29, 2009

ICE CREAM MONDAYS - Episode #9



Delizia in the house!

This week has been BY FAR one of my favourite weeks doing this blog. Things are happening, BIG, SUGARY, SWEET things; and as I continue, you know they’re getting sweeter (Bega, A little bit of Mambo, 1999).

Today ICM landed square in the centre of a veritable flavour goldmine. Delizia gelato desserts. The feature for the week – Tartufo.

Obviously packaged to incite a war among couple households or families with more than one kid, the Tartufo features 3 balls of chocolate gelato encasing a maraschino cherry, rolled in what I equate the protective power of Kevlar to complementation of flavour for Ice Cream; toasted almonds and cocoa! BOOM!



I was fortunate enough today to have a chat with one of the friendly family behind the Delizia powerhouse, Mr John Scimone, and got the inside scoop on a little bit of Delizia history to satisfy your taste buds.

“Delizia is a family company; my great grandfather was a gelato maker and my dad a pastry chef. We started out making cakes and biscuits, and after a long history of working closely with some of Brisbane’s finest chefs and post-dinner aficionados, we’ve now made the shift to gelato and ice cream only.”

The Tartufo is named after the Italian truffle, in fact, it IS the Italian word for truffle.
An expensive and equally delicious ingredient, the Tartufo is by far, one of the most amazing Ice Cream experiences I’ve had so far.



Served with a little bit of vanilla ice cream on the side it really pops as feature in your bowl, plus the added adventure of uncovering the cherry in the centre kinda gives you the feeling that you’ve gone somewhere, an archaeology of sorts.

John and I had a great chat about Delizia and there are some really cool things on the horizon for them, including the imminent release of a sexy new, custom designed 1litre package.
I even learnt that they employ full time staff in product development and new flavour design – rad! We’re going to pitch a Ice Cream Monday special to them tomorrow (don’t tell John... John if you’re reading this... please act surprised tomorrow)

After discovering that their factory was based only a stone throw away in Virginia, I had to ask that all important question that lies burning in the back of your mind from the day you turned 5. “Can I come and have a tour of your factory?” Which, I’m almost too excited to announce, was met with equal enthusiasm – AND ICM IS OFF TO MEET THE CREW TOMORROW AFTERNOON!

There is one golden ticket available to be my sidekick on this amazing journey – hit me on facebook to reserve your journey!

BEN HAMLEY (Facebook)

There are some amazing things in store for this week – for one, my personal trainer is probably going to murder me.... but... It’s gonna be worth it I think.

Until tomorrow, I leave you with some inspiration, GOLDEN TICKET


<3 Peace, Love and double-scoops <3

Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment